Monday, August 11, 2008

Our Front Porch and Walkway

I love Summer and I can sum it up in one word why: Geraniums. When I was a little girl my dad built wooden flower boxes and either mom or dad painted them white. They weren't fancy at all; just plain lumber with plain white paint. They were nailed together at the corners and I don't recall any fancy hanging attachments. Dad mounted the flower boxes outside of our family room windows. There was one large picture window in the front and two large picture windows on the side. The area was surrounded by white concrete and white siding of the house. As you can imagine, color was most welcome. The family room and the patio outside were my world. Yes, my bedroom was also a special place but waking hours inside and outside were mostly spent in this room or out on the patio. Each year my mother would plant red and white geraniums in the flower boxes and each year they would grown so well that it would seem to me at times that we actually had geranium bushes! My mother seemed to have a knack for cultivating geraniums and they never failed her. Each year seemed to boast more beautiful flowers than the year before. I can remember feeling awe when looking at the plants and also feeling proud of my mother when our neighbors would come to visit.

Now, years later, the house and the flower boxes belong to someone else. My mother has moved to a lovely house and still raises gorgeous flowers. Of course, my mother's touch seems to improve everything around her. I miss those flower boxes; or is it my carefree youth that I miss? I will never recreate my mother's magic in those plain white, but oh so magnificent flower boxes. However, I do my best. I love geraniums, specifically red ones.

Today I am sharing with you the walkway from the driveway of our home to the front porch. Our landscaping is young and fairly new; please forgive its' lack of lushness and fullness. The wooden planters on either side of my front door have traveled with me to 4 houses in 10 years. They have been a butter yellow cream and also white. If I move again; they'll come with me. The front porch still has some decorating needed but I wanted to share a little bit of my life, and specifically my geraniums, with you. I hope you enjoy the teensy tour. And since we're friends I know you won't mention my dirty glass door and windows. Overlooking those types of things are what friends are for, right?! I hope you enjoy the tour.












5 comments:

  1. Hi Vanessa, Girl if your porch is this pretty, I've got to see the inside of your home! Your front door is beautiful too! How do you grow geraniums, (I can't even spell the word, let alone grow them...LOL) I have tried 3 times and always KILL 'em. I don't know how much water to give them...and I think that is where I mess up...Please give me any tips, I am willing to try again. I really loved the tour, thanks for sharing it with us. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOUR geraniums look like bushes, too, so I think your mom passed those geranium genes on to you! I have the same disability Nancy just wrote about---DG or Dead Geraniums. I'm new to blogging, too (BUT not a new as you!!!) and I mentioned my problems with geraniums on nearly everyone of my posts in the beginning! Anyway, your porch is magnificent and your plantings are wonderful! I am so glad you found my blog (the pink sponge roller post---monkey in rollers--etc.) cause now I have found yours! Welcome to blogging and I look forward to my next visit! Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful walkway and front porch! I love red geraniums--they are so cheerful and give a home a warm, neat appearance. Your porch furniture is lovely, and your little red bench/coffeetable is so great! I love it!

    Blessings,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your warm and welcoming home.
    It's gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and appreciate each and every one.