Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I'm a Cookbookaholic!

I admit it! I am a cookbookaholic! I'm not really sure that I ever made a conscious decision to collect cookbooks. I just woke up one day and found that I had more than my fair share. I also realized that I actually enjoy reading cookbooks as well. I usually have at least one on the coffee table, one on the table beside my reading chair in the bedroom and one on my nightstand. I am not a cookbook snob. I've rarely met a cookbook that I haven't liked! :D I like church cookbooks, glossy picture cookbooks, pastry, italian, country cooking. I like them all! I check cookbooks out of the library and I also peruse online recipe sites. I get cookbooks from a variety of places including Amazon.com, Goodwill, antique bookstores, yardsales, etc. I thought I would share with you my collection.

The first picture is kind of weird to be on a cookbook post. It's our tv and cabinet. Looks innocent enough right? It's not. Look closer. Look on the bottom shelf peeking through the glass - cookbooks of the smaller sort! (please forgive the lack of decorating on top of the cabinet, this piece is only three weeks old to us and I haven't gotten around to that yet)



And since I gave you a peek, I figure I might as well come clean. Here is a pic of the tv cabinet with the doors open. Yep, there are more cookbooks in there. I seem to have a thing for smallish cookbooks.



This is a pic of a cabinet in my kitchen. I needed something to store my kitchen tv in and this is from the youth bedroom collection. Perfect size for my kitchen. Ok, I haven't been completely honest. Yes, this was bought for my tv, but also for the STORAGE! See, I have a few cookbooks up on the top of the cabinet. Those are sweet cookbooks that sing to my heart.



So, I told hubby that the tv will fit nicely. Yep, it does. Isn't it nice how the tv is surrounded by yummy cookbooks?! No lonely tv in this cabinet, no sirree! By the way, the funny looking thing in the back of the shelf is a light that I have that stays on all the time that lights up the shelf so nicely.



Ok, the cat's out of the bag. The entire bottom of the cabinet is also stuffed with cookbooks. And, since my therapist said that coming clean is good for the soul (I don't really have a therapist, but I am saying that as a way to throw you off since I am a bit embarrassed to admit just how bad my addiction is), behind the row of cookbooks, where you can't see, there are stacks of other cookbooks and booklets stacked up. I don't believe in wasted space and yes, I do have big (little) plans for that space on the bottom shelf! My goodness, there's at least another 4 inches for more small cookbooks!



This pic is of shelving units in our family room. The top shelves are actually books that aren't cookbooks (and you were beginning to think that the only books in the universe, or at least my house, were cookbooks, right?). The bottom two shelves in both units are all cookbooks. There was one other stack of about 8 cookbooks on my coffee table that aren't pictured; but you have pretty much seen my collection.



Do you think less or more of me now that I have admitted my addiction showed off my collection? Do you collect cookbooks? I would love to see pictures of your collection. How do you store your treasures? What are your favorite cookbooks? Sometime in the future I will share specific cookbooks and what they mean to me.

9 comments:

  1. I THINK (and only think - not sure) I MAY have 2 cookbooks. It might be only 1.

    Hallie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok girl, I think there's a problem...lol;) I have a few compared to your collection. I will post them tonight or tomar. and put a link to your blog in the post cause...people need to know bout this addiction..lol:) OH, BTW, I love that scale on top of that shelf!!!! Blessings, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi and thanks for stopping by my blog. I think we may be kindred spirits. I too have a cookbook obsession, I mean collection! I read them like novels. But of course, after I read through one, I have no real desire to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice to see your collection, (and did I spy a Longaberger in the background?) Of course having them all stored in such neat spaces is just an excuse to buy some more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanessa, I have you an award on my blog so stop by sometime and pick it up....Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I met my match. I am totally addicted to collecting cookbooks. I usually sneak them into the house and blend them in with the other books. I too read them like novels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking that your family probably reaps the benefit of your addiction -- do you cook all sorts of marvelous dishes from your many books?
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, this looks very familiar to me. Some days I spend way too much time organizing my cookbook collection. I'd be happy to come by and do the same for you. - Edlear

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl, we are kindred spirits separated at birth! So much fun to see another cookbook maven.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and appreciate each and every one.