My Dad was what was called back then a "change of life" baby. When he was born he had an older brother around 17, and two sisters that were around 16 and 15 at the time. While his brother was out of the house and in the Navy right around the time that my dad was born, he was lucky enough to have two "extra" mommies in his sisters. The girls were named the most wonderful names; Lillie Mae and Rosetta. Aren't they beautiful? Lillie Mae played a big role in raising my dad and, in turn, played a role in our family. We always called Lillie Mae "Sissy" and to multiply the cuteness factor, her husband was known as "Sonny". I kid you not! Sissy and Sonny lived with my elderly grandparents on our family farm in the Appalachian region of Southwest Virginia. We would travel from our home in east Tennessee to "the farm" almost every weekend of my youth. What a great place to explore!
Every single Sunday we were there Sissy would always cook up a huge southern, country really, meal. She was the best cook ever. Period. In today's times she would certainly give Paula Deen a run for her money. Sissy cooked on a wood stove and water came from a well for many years. At Christmas time Sissy would always make Stack Cakes. These were gifts for friends and also a source of income. Men especially seem to love the taste and texture of the Stack Cake. What was so unique is that she made these stack cakes on the wood stove! Can you imagine making 75 or more cakes with each and every layer in a cast iron skillet on top of a wood stove? She was an amazing woman. Sadly, Sissy passed away a few years ago.
Sonny still makes Stack Cakes each Christmas and the picture you see is of a half cake that was a gift to me this Christmas. My brother got the other half! The cake pictured is direct from the hills and hollers of the Appalachian region of Virginia to my Tennessee home. I will enjoy every bite of this treasure that takes me back to my childhood. I hope you enjoy this family recipe too.
STACK CAKE
LILLY MAE GENTRY (Aunt Sissy)
½ Cup Crisco
½ Cup Molasses
½ Cup Buttermilk
11/2 Cup sugar
2 tsps.soda
2Tbs. ginger
2 eggs
Mix ingredients with a hand mixture. Start adding flour by hand, start with ½ cup. There is no set amount of flour, just keep adding until the consistency becomes like a soft cookie dough and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. When you can handle the dough, divide it into 7 balls by turning out on a floured surface. Press each ball out into a cake pan that has been greased with Crisco. Preheat at 350 D. Bake until brown and pulls away from side. If you can place two cakes pans in at a time this goes faster. Stack between layers with generous amount of applesauce and allspice. Let stand a few days. I store mine in the refrigerator.

I've seen or heard of this cake before but I must say it looks divine!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great family recipe to carry on. I love your story about your Aunt Sissy and it is so sweet that your Uncle still carries on the tradition of making the stack cake!
ReplyDeleteLawsy Mercy, it looks good;)
ReplyDeleteHi Vanessa :)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your comment! That cake looks delicious!! I copied the recipe for my files. Thank you! :)
I just read up on your blog and I'm so sorry about the issues you've had of late. That must have been terrifying and I'm so happy for you that things are better now.
I hope you and your family have a very Happy New Year! Oh and Happy Birthday to your son :)
rue